Student needs will vary according to the individual course requirements and the nature of the disability. The university is not required to provide every accommodation that a student may request. Students should note that the requirements for accommodations for post-secondary education are different from the requirements for high school and that the accommodations themselves may differ. The student’s preferences are considered but are not determining. Accommodations may take many forms and generally apply to three broad categories: teaching & learning, demonstrating knowledge, and meeting academic requirements.

The following are examples of each category:
 Teaching and Learning
 * Use of recorder for lectures
* Use of Assistive Technology
* Use of Sign Language Interpreters/Transliterators
* Use of particular types of desks and other furniture
* Use of comprehensive syllabi
* Use of a SmartPen

Demonstrating Knowledge
* Examination modifications(e.g., extended time, reduced distraction
environment, use of a word processor for essays)
* Extended time for assignments: under certain conditions, supported by  documentation, “extended time on assignments” may be an appropriate accommodation. Any extension must be negotiated with the professor in advance of the assignment due date.

Meeting Academic Requirements
* Modification of academic policy, substitution or waiver for certain classes (e.g. foreign language and quantitative reasoning):  Students who wish to request an      exception because of a specific disability should contact DS so that their documentation can be evaluated to determine if it supports an exception or modification.    DS will provide its evaluation to the appropriate academic unit for final determination of accommodation.
* Scheduling accommodations: priority registration is available to students who are registered with DS.
* Reduced course load.
* Extended time to complete course requirements.
* Use of a scribe or note taker.
* Use of assistive technology
* Physical access: every effort is made to reduce barriers to classrooms and other university facilities. Students with accessibility concerns should contact DS as soon as they become aware of the need for an accommodation.


Other Possible Accommodations include
* Meal Plan Waivers
* Housing accommodations: A student requiring specialized accessibility needs as a residential student must first contact DS. The student will need to provide documentation of the disability. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis. A Special Housing Request form is needed to proceed with housing accommodations.