Mason Autism Support Initiative (MASI)
The Mason Autism Support Initiative (MASI) is a comprehensive, fee-based program that is in place to provide additional, intensive support services to students on the Autism Spectrum that are above the standard accommodations received in higher education. The fee for the 2017-2018 academic year is $6,600. The $400 deposit is part of the $6,600 fee.
Once students are accepted for admission into George Mason University, they may apply for admission into the MASI program through Disability Services. Click here to download our application(Word), new student recommendation(Word) or returning student recommendation(Word) form. The program uses a team-based approach to assist students in achieving their goals in college. An individualized plan of support is created at the beginning of each MASI student.
Through this program, students have access to:
- Peer Mentor
- Undergraduate students who are trained to support our MASI students in development of their social skills and assist with connecting them to the Mason community
- The application to become a Peer Mentor for the 2017-2018 academic school year is now available! To apply please click here MASI Peer Mentor App Fall 2017 and send to Chris Williams via email at email@example.com by Thursday, February 23rd at 5:00pm.
- Social Events
- Monthly large-group events on- and off-campus
- Weekly activity(ies) with their peer mentor
- Learning Strategist support
- Weekly meeting(s) with trained support staff who work with our MASI students on development of strategies for academic and social success
- Skill-building Classes and Groups
- Focus on making connections with departments and services available at Mason
- Development of career-readiness skills
- Development of social and academic skills
For information contact Chris Williams, MASI Program Coordinator at: (703) 993-2474 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Admission Guidelines for 2017-2018 Academic Year
For consideration please submit:
Documentation (for specifics, please see documentation guidelines on application)
GMU Acceptance Letter
You can submit your application to MASI when you submit your regular admission application to Mason. However your application will NOT be reviewed for consideration until you submit your GMU acceptance letter.
Completed applications with acceptance letter should be submitted by Thursday, March 30th.
Your application will be reviewed to determine whether an invitation for interview will be given to the student. The Program Director, Jessica Machado, will meet with selected students for interviews between April 3rd and April 18th.
Decisions will be emailed out by April 24, 2017
Once you have received acceptance letter you will have until May 1, 2017 to commit to the program and pay the $400 deposit. If you do not pay deposit by May 1, you could lose your spot for the 2017-2018 academic year.
**After May 1st if we still have space in the program, we will begin accepting applications on a rolling basis.
Categories of Admission: