The registration process
Initial Process of Requesting Accommodations
Disability Services collaborates with students with impairments, conditions and/or disabilities to provide reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and support services that are individualized and based on a person-to-person meeting, an assessment of barriers, and documentation.
Once the intake form and any available documentation are submitted, Disability Services will review these materials within 10 business days. Following this review, Disability Services will contact the student via Mason email (when available) either to request additional information or to schedule the initial meeting.
Students can complete the registration process at any point in their academic career.
To request accommodations, students need to complete the following process:
1. Complete and submit a Disability Services intake form. The intake form is available for completion on our Forms Page. This form can be submitted in person or electronically.
2. Submit any impairment/condition/disability documentation you have and think is appropriate. In the event that you do not have documentation, contact Disability Services to discuss the next steps.
4. Participate in the initial intake interview. These meetings are scheduled for 1 hour and involve meeting with a Disability Services Specialist to discuss accommodations. The meeting will include: a discussion, establishment of reasonable accommodations, review and signing of policy forms, and provision of faculty contact sheets (if appropriate).
5. Distribute Academic Accommodation Letters (AAL) to instructors to activate academic accommodations.
Students do not need to re-establish accommodations as the accommodations a student receives are in place for their entire academic career at George Mason University.
If the student does not need to change any of their accommodations:
1. If accommodations were previously established the student will only need to submit a Academic Accommodation Letter Request (AAL).
2. The Disability Services team will create these AAL and email them directly to the student.
3. Once the student receives their AAL it is their responsibility to distribute them to their instructors.
4. The instructors should follow the accommodations listed on the AAL.
5. If any issues arise the student should contact their Disability Services Specialist immediately.
If the student wants to discuss or change accommodations:
1. The student will need to email their Specialist directly to schedule an appointment to discuss changes.
2. The student and Specialist will meet and discuss changes to accommodations. Depending on the requested changes, the Specialist may request supporting documentation before implementing a change in accommodations.
3. The Specialist will either generate new AAL for the student or have the student submit a new AAL request form.
4. The student gives their new AAL to their instructors.
5. The instructors should follow the accommodations listed on the AAL.
6. If any issues arise the student should contact their Disability Services Specialist immediately.
If you have any questions about the accommodations process or would like to schedule an appointment with an accommodations Specialist contact Disability Services at 703.993.2474 or email the office at email@example.com.
Once students submit all documentation to begin the registration process, a Disability Services Specialist will review their completed file. Upon review, they will then reach out to students via their Mason email address to schedule the initial meeting. Students can complete the registration process at any point in their academic career.
The video to the right provides a guided walk-through of the above registration process.
For Mason Korea Campus – contact Joanna Park, Senior Coordinator for Student Care and Conduct. Phone: +82-32-626-5071 | Fax: +82-32-626-5400 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the Mason Korea Academic Affairs website for more details.