Meal Plan Accommodations
Meal Plan Requests
In an effort to effectively respond to student requests for meal plan modifications and accommodations, George Mason University has created the Meal Plan Committee. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis and is reviewed by the Meal Plan Committee where staff from Disability Services consult with the Campus Dietitian. Any documentation submitted to support a request should be current and relevant and be from an appropriate professional that describes the current functional impact of the condition or disability as it relates to a meal plan modification or accommodation requested. The Meal Plan Committee will discuss reasonable modifications or accommodations based on student self-report and observations and interactions during an initial Disability Services meeting. Documentation may be requested from a diagnosing/treating healthcare provider/professional.
Mason reserves the right to request additional documentation if the information submitted appears to be outdated, inadequate in scope or content, does not address current level of functioning, or does not substantiate a need for modifications or accommodations. Disability Services will make a determination following The Meal Plan Committee’s review of student requests. Disability Services will contact students directly via their Mason email account to communicate that determination. Students who are not satisfied with the outcome of their meal plan accommodation request are encouraged to review the Disability Services Grievance Process.
1. Complete and submit a Disability Services Intake Form. The intake form is available for completion on our Forms Page. It can be submitted in person or electronically.
2. Complete the Meal Plan Request Form. Review and complete the Meal Plan Request Form which can be found on our Forms Page.
3. Participate in an initial intake interview. These meetings are scheduled for 1 hour and involve meeting with a Disability Services Specialist to discuss accommodations. The meeting will include a discussion around the impairment, condition, and/or disability as it relates to dining and a review/signing of policy forms.
4. Meet with Mason’s Campus Dietitian. The campus dietician will work through your individual situation/concerns to determine if/how the university can accommodate you in the dining halls. More information found here at Meet The Dietician.
5. Monitor George Mason email for receipt of the final decision on your request from Disability Services.