Housing Request Process
In an effort to effectively respond to student requests for housing modifications and accommodations, George Mason University has created the Housing Request Committee (HRC). Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis and is reviewed by the HRC where staff from Disability Services consult with Student Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and Housing and Residence Life. Any documentation submitted to support a request should be current and relevant and be from an appropriate professional that describes the current functional impact of the condition or disability as it relates to the housing modification or accommodation requested. The HRC will discuss reasonable modifications or accommodations based on student self-report and observations and interactions during your initial Disability Services meeting. Documentation may be requested from a diagnosing/treating healthcare provider/professional.
Some examples of Housing accommodations we can provide include but are not limited to:
- Wheelchair-accessible room and bathroom
- Single room
- Emotional Support Animal in residence halls/apartments
Students who are requesting Housing Accommodations must complete the following process.
1. Apply for and accept a housing contract through Housing and Residence Life. In order to assist students with housing accommodations, a housing application must be completed and contacts must be accepted with Housing and Residence Life.
2. Complete and submit a Disability Services Intake Form. The intake form is available for completion on our Forms Page. It can be submitted in person or electronically.
3. Complete and submit a Housing Request Form. This can be found on our Forms Page. Students will need to work with their relevant/treating healthcare providers to complete the form in full.
4. Participate in an initial intake interview. These meetings are scheduled for 1 hour and involve meeting with Disability Services Specialist to discuss accommodations. The meeting will include a discussion around the housing request(s) as it relates to the impairment, condition, and/or disability and a review/signing of policy forms.
5. Monitor Geroge Mason email for receipt of the Housing Committee’s decision on your request. Each request will be handled on a case-by-case basis and is reviewed by a housing committee where staff from Disability Services consult with Student Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Disability Services will make a determination following a housing committee review of student requests. Following the Committee’s review of documentation, a Disability Services staff member will reach out to share the outcome of the review.
*If a student’s housing selection window opens up prior to their scheduled intake meeting with Disability Services, students are highly encouraged to accept the given contract and self-select a room. Should a student be approved for housing accommodations, Disability Services will work with Housing to determine an appropriate placement.
Requests received after the recommended dates will be considered on an as-available basis based on housing availability. Regardless of recommended dates noted, students must apply for Housing and complete the housing application process. Students are encouraged to complete the Housing Accommodation process as soon as possible. Housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Transfer students and students new to housing:
If you have been accepted into George Mason University and plan to submit a housing application or are a current off-campus Mason student and plan to apply for housing for the upcoming academic year, please submit a Housing Accommodation Request Form right away. Housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once you apply for housing, please notify Disability Services and we will move forward with your Housing Accommodation request. For best consideration, a fully completed Housing Accommodation Request Form should be submitted to Disability Services when you are accepted into George Mason University.
Mason students who have been previously approved for Housing accommodations in a previous academic year:
If you have been approved for a housing accommodation in the previous academic year and your situation and request has not changed, then you will automatically be approved for the same accommodation for the upcoming academic year if you decide to live on campus. If your request and situation has not changed, you will only need to complete the student section of this form. For best consideration, the student section needs to be fully completed and submitted to Disability Services by the 3rd Friday in January.
Recommended Date for current on-campus Mason students making an initial Housing accommodation request:
For best consideration, a fully completed Housing Accommodation Request Form should be submitted to Disability Services by the 3rd Friday in January.